1. Navigate and login to the organization's SharePoint website.
2. From the site home, locate a list, library, document, item, or discussion that requires an alert. For an alert on an individual item click the check box next to item to select it as demonstrated in the first picture. In the case of a broader alert such as a list or library, navigate to the directory.
3. To add an alert for an individual item, check the item, click the Library tab under library tools, click the Alert Me icon, and then click Set alert on this library (first image). For a library or list wide alert click the Library tab under Library Tools, click the Alert Me icon, and then click Set alert on this library (second image).
4. The new alert window will appear after a brief moment, with eight defining fields to configure the alert. A detailed explanation of each item is provided by on the page, however there are a few items to be particularly aware of:
- Item 2: Users are found by SharePoint checking against the organization's address list. Type a few characters of the user's email address, and then click the check username icon as denoted by the arrow. Once properly resolved the name will become underlined, and a semicolon placed immediately afterwards.
- Item 3: Text message alerts can only be configured if the user has a cellphone number entered in the user detail page (Modify User Details).
Select the pertinent options for each field, and then click OK to create the new alert.
What Is Next?